Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This ham is a showstopping Southern classic! Gets rave reviews every time. From The Southern Living Heirloom Cookbook. Note: Cook time includes a 30 minute stand time.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove skin from ham, and trim fat to 1/4-inch thickness. Make shallow cuts in fat 1 inch apart in a diamond pattern; insert cloves in center of diamonds. Place ham in an aluminum foil-lined 13 x 9-inch pan.
- Stir together brown sugar and next 4 ingredients; spoon over ham.
- Bake at 350 degrees F on lowest oven rack 2 hours and 30 minutes, basting with pan juices every 30 minutes. Shield ham with foil after 1 hour to prevent excessive browning. Remove from oven, and let stand 30 minutes. Makes 16 servings.
- Ham 101: Cooked ham can be served directly from the refrigerator. If you'd like to serve it hot, heat in a 350 degree F oven to an internal temperature of 140 degrees F.
- Uncooked ham should be heated to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F in a 350 degree F oven. Plan to cook it 18 to 20 minutes per pound.
- Dry-cured ham is rubbed with salt and seasonings and then stored until the salt fully penetrates the meat.
- Wet-cured ham is seasoned with a brine solution, which keeps the meat moist and the texture tender.