Just wait until you taste your steaks with this brine, you will be in heaven lol! it's a fantastic brine for steaks and also any cut of beef. The brine is enough for 6 (1-inch) steaks or a few less thicker steaks. Do not brine the steaks anymore than 6 hours, 8 hours maximum, and please DO NOT brine for 24 hours! The steaks must be left out on the counter for a couple of hours to bring down to almost room temperature, this is an important step to relax the meat fibers, this will create a more tender and juicy steak, so start this recipe early in the day. Use kosher salt *only* for this brine!
- 2 1⁄2 cups water (room temperature)
- 1⁄3 cup bourbon whiskey
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt (use kosher salt only!)
- 1 tablespoon chopped lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (more to season the steaks before cooking)
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh garlic (can use more)
- 6 boneless beef steaks (about 1-inch thick)
- In a bowl combine water with 1/3 cup bourbon, 1/3 cup honey, kosher salt, lemon zest and black pepper; stir to completely dissolve the salt, then add in the garlic.
- Place the steaks in a large resealable plastic bag and set in a shallow dish.
- Pour the brine over the steaks then seal the bag.
- Toss bag to coat the steaks in the brine.
- Place in refrigerator for 6-8 hours (no more than 8 hours!) tossing the bag occasionally making certain that the meat is covered with the brine.
- About 2 hours before cooking the steaks, remove steaks and discard the marinade.
- Rinse the meat VERY well under cold water and place on a plate/s.
- Let the beef sit our on the counter for about 2 hours or until almost room temperature (THIS IS IMPORTANT! the steaks must come down to room temperature before cooking!).
- Season the steaks with only black pepper (salt the steaks after cooking).
- Place the steaks on the grill and grill to desired doneness (or steaks can be oven-broiled).