Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
These biscuits are full of flavour and are coated with syrup, walnuts and ground cinnamon.They are a traditional Christmas treat in homes all over Greece and the Greek Islands.
- 1200 g all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup fine semolina
- 1⁄2 cup of coarsely ground walnuts
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon clove powder
- 2 cups olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Put the sugar, olive oil and honey into a large bowl and beat together.
- Add the clove, cinnamon and orange rind and beat in with the other ingredients in the bowl.
- Dilute the baking powder and baking soda with the fruit juice then add to the mixture in the bowl along with the walnuts and semolina, beating all the time.
- Gradually add the flour to form a soft dough.
- Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and allow the dough to stand for at least 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into pieces that will form oblong rounds like small eggs and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Cook the biscuits in the pre-heated oven for about 20 minutes or until they are a golden brown in color.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the syrup, blend together the water, honey and sugar in a saucepan and bring to the boil for about 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and dip the biscuits in the syrup for about a minute then remove with a perforated spoon and place on a serving plate.
- Before serving sprinkle the biscuits with walnuts and ground cinnamon.
Im sorry Charishma you didn't like them .Im just wondering what went wrong? Did you dip them in the syrup for approx 1 minute? I have made these many times and they are sweet, not overly sweet! take care:)
I made these this evening, but, to be very honest, these did not go very well. Inspite of having so many ingredients, these tasted like they lacked something. In my opinion, they could be more sweeter. The baking time is accurate in your recipe and all the steps are clear to follow. I'm sorry, wish I could give you a better review...