Recipe by ** Poppy **
These biscuits are full of flavour and are coated with syrup, walnuts and ground cinnamon.They are a traditional Christmas treat in homes all over Greece and the Greek Islands.
Top Review by ** Poppy **
Im sorry Charishma you didn't like them .Im just wondering what went wrong? Did you dip them in the syrup for approx 1 minute? I have made these many times and they are sweet, not overly sweet! take care:)
- 1200 g all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup fine semolina
- 1⁄2 cup of coarsely ground walnuts
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon clove powder
- 2 cups olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup ground walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Put the sugar, olive oil and honey into a large bowl and beat together.
- Add the clove, cinnamon and orange rind and beat in with the other ingredients in the bowl.
- Dilute the baking powder and baking soda with the fruit juice then add to the mixture in the bowl along with the walnuts and semolina, beating all the time.
- Gradually add the flour to form a soft dough.
- Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and allow the dough to stand for at least 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into pieces that will form oblong rounds like small eggs and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Cook the biscuits in the pre-heated oven for about 20 minutes or until they are a golden brown in color.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the syrup, blend together the water, honey and sugar in a saucepan and bring to the boil for about 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and dip the biscuits in the syrup for about a minute then remove with a perforated spoon and place on a serving plate.
- Before serving sprinkle the biscuits with walnuts and ground cinnamon.