YumSugar, the savvy food column on the Sugar Network, made this delicious sandwich in honor of National Grilled Cheese Month. They crafted this stack of melted goodness with mozzarella, fontina, fresh basil, tomatoes and honey. I recommend choosing a multigrain or wheat bread that's just a tiny bit sweet. It makes the perfect enclosure to this yummy sandwich. From Woman's Day magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices multigrain bread (I use 15-Grain)
- 6 strawberry tomatoes, thinly sliced (or other sweet tomatoes-use less if using bigger tomatoes)
- 3 ounces mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced with a sharp knife
- 10 slices Fontina cheese, cut thin
- 12 -16 large basil leaves
- butter (to coat bread for grilling)
- 1To make each sandwich, spread one side of each slice of bread with desired amount of butter.
- 2On the opposite side of two of the slices, spread a generous amount of honey, just enough to cover the surface.
- 3Divide the tomatoes between the two sandwiches and arrange the slices on top of the honey. Then, lay four slices of fontina cheese on top of each tomato-topped slice.
- 4Divide the basil leaves between the two sandwiches and lay atop the fontina. Then top each basil-covered slice with the sliced mozzarella. Top with remaining bread slices, butter side up.
- 5Over very low heat, preheat a skillet then grill the sandwiches one at a time. To ensure the cheese melts evenly, cover the skillet with a lid while cooking. Grill each side for about 3 to 5 minutes, until lightly browned.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Honey-Basil Grilled Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (1196 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 742.2
- Calories from Fat 485
- Total Fat 53.9 g
- Saturated Fat 32.5 g
- Cholesterol 196.0 mg
- Sodium 1406.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 49.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: