- 3 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, skined
- 3⁄4 cup yellow squash, Shredded
- 3⁄4 cup zucchini, Shredded
- 1⁄2 cup onion, Finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, Finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups toasted sesame, wholewheat breadcrum
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, Chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Discard giblets and neck of chicken (or save for stock.) Rinse chicken under cold, running water, and pat dry.
- Set aside.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with Pam; place over med-hi heat until hot.
- Add yellow squash, zucchini, onion, celery, and garlic, and saute until tender-crisp.
- Combine vegetable mixture, breadcrumbs, egg, pecans, salt, and pepper in a med bowl; stir well.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan that has been coated with Pam.
- Stuff lightly with dressing mixture.
- Truss chicken (or put ball of foil in opening.) Combine apple juice and honey, stirring well.
- Brush chicken with half of apple juice-honey mixture.
- Bake at 350 deg F for 1 1/2- 2 hours or until drumsticks are easy to move and juices run clear, basting occasionally with remaining apple-honey muixture.
This was a really juicy chicken and the sauce was good. I will beg for this one again.
Great tasting chicken with an easy stuffing. I left the skin on and i think it really helped make the chicen moist and tender. The stuffing was so good....wish i had doubled the batch!!!