Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
The only adjective that comes to mind to describe this dessert is 'scrumptious'.
For the apples
- 6 golden delicious apples
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup pecan pieces
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Core apples to form a cavity.
- Stand apples in buttered baking dish and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat honey and butter until blended.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Fill cavities of apples evenly with honey mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until apples are tender.
- While apples are baking, pour a half cup of water into heavy saucepan.
- Pour sugar into center of pot, keeping sugar from sides of pan.
- Bring to boil over high heat.
- Continue boiling until syrup is thick and amber-coloured, about 15 minutes.
- In separate saucepan, heat heavy cream to simmer.
- Remove sugar syrup from heat; slowly whisk hot cream into syrup until smooth.
- Whisk in butter; stir in pecans.
- To serve, carefully place apple on plate.
- Top with warm sauce.
Well the house smelled wonderful while this was baking but the finished product was quite disappointing. My grand kids didn't like it at all. I thought it was "okay".