Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
You can use homemade pie crust and thawed frozen cranberries if you wish.
Top Review by Born2cook
WOW - for me I got 18 out of this filling - I used homemade pie crust recipie that works for me. I also toped with a light glaze of powdered sugar and milk. We have eaten all of them in one day - they are soooo good. I was surprised my picky eater didn't mind the cranberries - I loved the tartness balanced with the glaze on top. OH - I didn't fry them to reduce fat - just baked them.
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie dough
- vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, add the apples, cranberries, 1/2 cup sugar, honey, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 20 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring frequently.
- Cool completely and drain.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pie dough to 12-inch circles; cut 9 (4-inch) circles from pie dough.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon filling onto half of each pastry circle.
- Moisten the edges of the pastry with water; fold pastry over the filling, press edges to seal.
- Crimp edges with a fork dipped in flour.
- Pour oil to a the depth of 1/2 inch in a heavy skillet or electric fry pan; heat to 350 degrees.
- Fry pies, 3-4 at a time, for 2 minutes on each side.
- Mix together 1 tablespoon sugar and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Sprinkle over hot pies.
- Note--You can also bake these pies instead of frying; put them on a greased baking sheet and bake at 425° for 12 minutes or until golden.