Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Cooking Light. Recipe by Bruice Aidells. Per 4 oz. serving: 207 calories, 5.9 g fat, 34 g protein, 2.5 g carb, 0.2 g fiber, 78 mg cholesterol. Allow 24 hours for turkey to soak in brine.
- 7 cups water, divided
- 3 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1⁄2 cup kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 1 (6 lb) bone-in skinless turkey breast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup water, 2 tablespoons pepper, and 6 thyme sprigs; bring to a boil then remove from heat.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl; cool to room temperature.
- To the bowl: add 6 cups water, salt, honey, and sugar, stirring until salt and sugar dissolve.
- Pour salt mixture into a 2-gallon heavy-duty zip-lock plastic bag.
- Add ice and turkey; seal.
- Refrigerate 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Remove turkey from bag; discard brine.
- Pat turkey dry using paper towels.
- Rub turkey with oil.
- Mix together 1 tablespoon pepper and chopped thyme, rub over turkey.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place turkey on a roasting pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake for 1 hour or until meat thermometer inserted into the thickest portion reads 180°F.
- Place turkey on a platter.
- Cover with foil and let stand 15 minutes.
- If desired, garnish with thyme sprigs.