1/1 Photo of Honey and Orange Madeleines
Recipe from Australian Better Homes and Gardens magazine. I recently made French Tart's Madeleines and totally enjoyed them. I haven't tried this recipe yet.....but posting for safe keeping. I made FT's gluten-free and they were wonderful. I'm hoping to try this recipe soon. You will need a madeleine mould or two for this recipe The article stated that madeleines are traditional French cakes that are cooked in shell-shaped moulds. They were named after a French pastrycook, Madeleine Paulmier, in the 19th cetury. They quickly became popular and are still regularly served as morning or afternoon tea in France. Moulds should be greased and then dusted with either with a fine layer of sugar or flour
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 teaspoons caster sugar
- 60 g unsalted butter
- 8 teaspoons honey, use honey at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- extra 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 finely grated orange, rind of
- icing sugar, also known as confectioners sugar and powdered sugar (for dusting)
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C Brush two 12 hole madeleine moulds with melted butter and sprinkle over caster sugar.
- 2Stir butter and honey in a small heavy based saucepan over a low heat until melted and combined. Remove pan from heat and set aside to cool until lukewarm.
- 3Break eggs into a medium mixing bowl and add the extra sugar and vanilla. Beat with electric beaters until the mixture is very thick and creamy. (This step could take as long as five minutes).
- 4Double Sift the flour and baking powder and then add it to the egg mixture. Fold in using a large metal cooking spoon. Do this step quickly and only until just combined.
- 5Add the cooled butter mixture and the rinds. Stir gently until well combined.
- 6Using a large spoon half-fill the madeleine moulds with the batter' Gentley shake the pans after filling to help settle the mixture.
- 7Bake for 7 to 8 minutes or until the cakes are golden and bounce back when lightly pressed with your finger.
- 8Remove the moulds from the oven and stand for 2 to 3 minutes. WHile still warm, carefully loosen each cake with a small palette knife or table knife'.
- 9Lay cakes flat side down on a wire rack to cool a little more -- just a few minutes is fine.
- 10Serve whilst still warm and dust with icing sugar. for up to 5 minutes.
- 11Madeleines will keep for 3-4 days stored inan airtight container. They are suitable to freeze and should only take a few minutes to thaw.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Honey and Orange Madeleines
Serving Size: 1 (19 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 49.7
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 23.0 mg
- Sodium 21.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 0.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, rind of