Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
The best of both world's. A whole wheat honey dough with some herbs to keep it from being bland.
- 1 cup water (make it just hot enough that you can stick your finger in it without burning you. This is so the yea)
- 1 teaspoon dry active yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (for the dough ball while it rises)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, dried
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 2 tablespoons flour (to dust the board while kneading or rolling the dough.)
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal (to dust the bread board)
- 3⁄4 cup pasta sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheese (use your favorite type)
- meat (sausage, bacon, ham, etc.)
- fruit (pineapple, etc.)
- vegetables (peppers, onions, mushrooms, olives, etc.)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a measuring cup with the water, add the yeast and the sugar. Stir together and set aside.
- In a large bowl (preferably not metal since the yeast can take on a metallic taste) add the honey, olive oil, both types of flour, salt, basil and rosemary. Pour the yeast/water combination into the large bowl with the other ingredients.
- Mix the ingredients together. It's easiest to use a hand bender or a counter-top mixed with a dough hook, but mixing by hand always works too. If you mix by hand, grab a wooden spoon and stir the ingredients until everything is incorporated and the dough forms a ball.
- Let the dough rest in the bowl for 10 minutes. (Just leave it in the bowl and cover it with a clean towel.).
- Sprinkle some flour on the board. Take the dough out and knead by hand for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the teaspoon of olive oil into the palm of your hand and rub all over the ball of dough making sure to cover the entire surface. Place the ball back into the bowl and cover again.
- Sprinkle some cornmeal on the board and take the dough out of the bowl. Roll it out to fit on your pizza pan.
- Once it's to the right size place it on the pan and bake it in the oven for 10 minutes or until it is slightly brown.
- Remove from the oven.
- Add the sauce, cheese and whatever toppings you would like. Bake it for 10 to 15 more minutes or until the edges of the crust are brown and the cheese is bubbling.
- Let it cool for a few minutes then eat up!