Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Had some dried figs over and wondered what I could make of it. Ran through my recipes, tweaked a bit and this is the result.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 1 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup finely chopped dried fig
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Grease and flour 2 loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, sugar, honey and apple sauce.
- Sieve flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices.
- Stir in flour mix to egg mix.
- Fold in figs and nuts (if using).
- Pour batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before slicing.
This is a very dense cake, so those of us who prefer it moist had to add some butter. It had a good flavor, though. Thanks for sharing!