Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A roast duck with spicy, crispy skin. Basting sauce doubles as a dipping sauce and could be used for chicken or game hens also.
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons red chili paste
- 1 (4 -5 lb) whole duck
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large carrot, diced (no need to peel)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- Coat a shallow roasting pan, and rack, with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the wine, honey, lemon juice, mustard and chili paste. Set aside.
- Rinse the duck and cut down the center of the back, to butterfly. Pat dry. Pierce skin several times with a metal skewer. (this helps drain fat as it cooks). Season with some of the salt and pepper.
- Place the celery, onion and carrot in the bottom of the roasting pan. Place rack over the vegetables and arrange the duck on the rack, skin side up. Place in oven.
- After 20 minutes, baste with the honey-chili mixture. Roast for a total of 1 1/2 to 2 hours, basting every 15 minutes.
- Remove the duck from the oven, place on a platter and keep warm.
- Combine the orange juice and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Strain the pan juices into a saucepan. Discard vegetables.
- Bring to a simmer, adding any leftover baste. Thicken with the cornstarch mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Cut duck into pieces (legs, thighs, breasts and wings).
- Serve the duck with the sauce on the side.
My wife and I loved it. Cooked duck many times with different recipes, and this was the best yet - to meet my criteria: crispy skin, tender and juicy inside, with great flavor on top of it.
my favourite whole duck recipe easy and delicious