Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Oxmoor House June 2007
- ready-to-cook bone-in ham shank
- 3⁄4 cup honey
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- Slice away hard outer skin from ham with a sharp knife, leaving a thin layer of fat.
- Place ham, fat side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Score top of ham in a diamond pattern; insert a meat thermometer into ham, making sure it does not touch fat or bone.
- Bake ham on lowest oven rack at 325° for 1 1/2 hours. Remove ham from oven, leaving oven on. Brush ham with honey.
- Combine sugar and spices; pat over honey, coating ham well.
- Return ham to oven, and continue to bake at 325° for 35 to 45 minutes or until thermometer registers 148°.
- (Cover ham with aluminum foil during the last 20 minutes, if necessary, to prevent excessive browning.) Let ham stand 15 minutes before carving.