Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I love the almondy taste of this hot chocolate. This recipe makes one cup; just double or quadruple (or whatever) the recipe to make what you need. Also tasty with a dash of cinnamon and cloves stirred in.
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup milk
- In a saucepan, whisk together cocoa, cornstarch and water.
- Whisk in the honey and gradually add milk, vanilla and almond extracts, whisking constantly over medium heat until smooth and slightly thickened.
This is yummy. Love the slight thickness. DD (toddler) and I enjoyed this the most with the cinnamon and clove mentioned in the introduction added so I suggest you should add that as an option in the ingredients list and directions. I made this healthier to fit our diet. I used carob powder to replace the cocoa, tapioca starch rather than cornstarch (didn't whisk as much while heating), creamed honey, alcohol free vanilla, almond milk since we avoid regular milk (lactose) and that's it. I may make this again.
Mmmmmmm, really delicious. I did add a bit more sweetening (about a tsp to a tsp and a half). I loved the body that the thickening adds to the chocolate. I used double dutch cocoa and about 1/3 tsp of the almond extract. Made for Comfort Cafe Jan '10
Oh yum! Added a few mini-marshmallows, too!!