Recipe by UsagiCassidy
Adapted from a grerat Kashi recipe. If you can't find "Honey Almond Flax Go Lean Crunch" cereal, you can always use the regular Go Lean Crunch cereal. If using the regular, combine with Honey Nut Cheerios.
For the Bread
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups kashi golean honey almond flax crunch cereal, crushed
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
For the topping
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons light cream cheese (or increase the butter to 2 Tbsp)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups kashi golean honey almond flax crunch cereal, crushed
- 3⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons unbleached wheat flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream together egg whites, sugar, vanilla, oil, applesauce, and buttermilk, for one minute with a whisk or electric mixer.
- Crush the cereal in a large ziplock bag with a roller or flat surface until coarse small chunks.
- In a separate bowl from the liquid mixture, combine cereal, flour, powder, soda, and salt.
- Mix into wet ingredients on low speeduntil blended (don't overmix).
- Let set for 15 minutes.
- In a sauce-pan, over medium-high heat, stir together honey, cream cheese, butter, almond extract, and salt, and bring to a boil for 2 minutes while stirring constantly. Be careful not to burn.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cereal, almonds, and flour until mixed.
- Pour thickened batter in a 9x5 or other square/rectangular pan, do not add topping.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle topping on top, and insert back into ovenfor 20 minutes.
- Test center with woodenpick until it comes out dry. Do not overbake, bread will firm some as it cools.