Recipe by fawn512
This is taken from Gale Gand's Sweet DReams. They turned out awesome, though a bit sweet for the topping (i will reduce the brown sugar if you don't like ultra sweet topping) but these are wonderful and moist.
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup honey, plus
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Thickly butter a 6-cup loaf pan.
- Pour in 3 tablespoons of the melted butter, swirl to coat the bottom
- Sprinkle in 1/4-cup of the brown sugar
- Drizzle in 2 tablespoons of the honey and sprinkle the almonds evenly over the bottom.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg.
- Add the remaining 3/4-cup brown sugar and mix.
- Add the remaining 4 tablespoons melted butter and 1/2 cup honey and mix.
- Gradually mix in the buttermilk.
- In another large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Working in batches, and mixing after each addition, add the dry ingredients to the buttermilk mixture. Mix until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a tester inserted into the middle of the cake comes out dry and almost clean (a few crumbs are okay) 50 to 55 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and let cool until the topping is firm.