Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a fair first prize winner. This is baked in 2 9x5 loaf pans.
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 1 3⁄4 cups honey
- 1⁄2 cup dates, chopped
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 1⁄4 cup corn oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar, packed
- 4 eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel, grated
- 1⁄4 cup ground almonds
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 5 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons hot water
- Combine coffee and honey in saucepan; bring to boil. Set aside to cool.
- Place dates in brandy and set aside.
- Blend oil, brown sugar, and eggs thoroughly in a large bowl.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Add flour mixture and coffee mixture alternately to egg mixture.
- Fold in sliced almonds, dates with brandy, and lemon peel.
- Grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans. Spread bottoms with Honey Smear.
- Pour in batter. Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 1 hour or until cake tests done.
- Cool on rack to room temperature.
- Honey Smear:.
- Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl. Cream until light and well blended. Makes about 1 1/4 cups.