Recipe by milkamaiden
A Moroccan delight! Delicious with hot sweetened cardamom infused coffee after dinner or as a snack with a cold glass of milk mixed with a splash of orange flower water. They look impressive enough to pretend they were a lot of work ; )
Top Review by houndin'recipes
My husband asks me to make these for Ramadan! Thank you for a Wonderful easy recipe to follow. It was delicious! I used raw whole almonds that I chopped and then toasted on the stove. I have used phyllo dough and wonton wrappers. The wonton wrappers are smaller and easier to handle, but become hard when baked. Phyllo dough is the one to use if you want a nice crispy shell!
- 350 g marzipan
- 50 g chopped almonds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 tablespoons orange flower water
- 8 -10 phyllo pastry sheets (depending on size of sheets)
- 125 g melted butter
- 260 g honey
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl mix together the marzipan, chopped almonds, almond extract and 1 tablespoon of the flower water.
- Stack the phyllo sheets on a cutting board and cut into strips of about 11 cm/ 4 1/2 in wide and 30cm/ 12 in long. Wrap the strips in a moistened kitchen towel and cover with cling wrap to keep from drying out.
- Place one strip of phyllo on your work surface and brush with melted butter. Fold the strip in half lengthwise (making it about 5,5cm / 2 1/4 in wide) and brush with butter again.
- Place a tablespoon of the almond filling on one end of the strip and fold over making a triangle. Continue folding the triangle enclosing your filling until you reach the end of the strip.
- Roll up all your strips this way and place on a wax paper lined baking sheet. Brush the tops with melted butter.
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC / 350ºF. Bake them on the middle shelf for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- While the briouats are baking put the honey and the 3 remaining tablespoons of flower water in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil right before the briouats come out of the oven. Reduce the heat of the pan and plunge the briouats - 2 at a time - into the hot honey mixture. Leave in for 10 seconds remove with slotted spoon onto wax paper.
- Leave to cool (this is the hardest part!) and eat the same day (this is the easiest part !).