- 4 cups water
- 5 medium tomatoes
- 2 medium red onions, divided
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 7 ounces chipotle peppers, canned
- 24 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 lbs shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the water, tomatoes, 1/2 of an onion, and garlic into a large pot over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the tomatoes are soft.
- Remove from heat and let sit to cool for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a blender and add the chipotle, tomato paste and salt and blend.
- Slice the remaining red onions.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Saute the remaining onions and until golden brown.
- Stir in the shrimp and garlic salt and cook for 2-3 minutes, the shrimp should just turn pink.
- Pour sauce over shrimp and let simmer for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice, if desired.