Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great, sweeter version of banana bread from Central America.Had to make this for an elementary school presentation and all of the kids loved it. Nice and moist bread. Got from http://www.roatanonline.com/caribbean_recipes.htm. The recipe also calls for pecans and a lime/rum icing, but i omitted both of these. For the original recipe, visit the above link
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons neufchatel cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350. Coat loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside. Beat margarine and Neufchatel cheese at med. speed in mixer; add 1 cup sugar, beating well. Add egg, beat well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir well.
- Combine banana, milk and vanilla; stir well.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with banana mixture; mix after each addition. Stir in coconut.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 350 for 60 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!
This is some of the very best banana bread I have ever made! I like the coconut, but I think you could leave it out and still have it turn out well.