Recipe by Teena03
This recipe was in a Taste of Home Mag. submitted by Frances Bowman of Lilesville, North Caroline. Thanks Frances!
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced in 1/4 in slices
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 (8 ounce) packages red beans and rice mix
- 2 cups of cooked cubed ham
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) jar pickled jalapeno peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 (29 ounce) can hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup corn chips, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch Oven Brown sausage in oil, drain and set aside. In the same pan, brown the ham cubes. Stir in the red beans and rice mix, water, butter and cayenne. Bring all of this to a boil and the reduce the heat, place the cover on pan and simmer for 25 minutes or until the rice and beans are tender. Stir occasionally. Then transfer to a greased 3 quart baking dish. Layer the rice bean mix with the sausage and hominy. Top with the peppers and corn. Bake uncovered at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle the cheese and bake a few more minutes until cheese melts. Then sprinkle with corn chips.