Recipe by Miss Dusty
I wanted something different one evening; I didn't want "normal" vegetables, so I used more off-the-beat items. The bite-size fried onions added a final mouth-watering flavor that was hard to resist. My husband, who hates hominy with a passion, fell in love with this casserole - and he's still eating the leftovers!
- 1 lb egg noodles, cooked
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can white hominy, drained
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 6 -8 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of potato soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can broccoli cheese soup
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup French-fried onions, as desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the egg noodles according to package directions.
- Cube the chicken breasts and cook until white.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Lightly spray a 9x13 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Line the bottom of the dish with the cubed chicken. Add the blackeyed peas and white hominy.
- Sprinkle the cream cheese and Colby Jack/Monterey cheese over the ingredients. Add the cooked egg noodles to the top.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix together the cream of mushroom, cream of potato, and broccoli & cheese soups. Add the half-and-half until creamy.
- Pour the soup mixture over the noodles - make sure it is even.
- Sprinkle the french-fried onions over the whole casserole until they are the desired thickness.
- Bake for 20 minutes.