Prep 1 hr
Cook 6 hrs
America's Test Kitchen
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 onions, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme (or 1/2 t. dried)
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth, plus extra as needed
- 12 ounces red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2-3 medium potatoes)
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Dry chicken with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over med-high heat until just smoking.
- Brown half the chicken lightly on both sides, 5-8 minutes; transfer to a bowl.
- Repeat with 1 tablespoon more oil and remaining chicken; transfer to bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon more oil over med-high heat until shimmering.
- Add onions, garlic, tomato paste, and thyme; cook until onions are softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in wine, scraping up any browned bits.
- Whisk in 1 cup broth, smoothing out any lumps; transfer to slow cooker.
- Microwave potatoes and carrots with remaining tablespoon oil in covered bowl, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are nearly tender, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir remaining 3 cups broth and bay leaves into slow cooker.
- Nestle browned chicken with any accumulated juice into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4-6 hours on LOW.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board; let cool slightly; shred into bite-sized pieces.
- Let stew settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using a large spoon.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Stir shredded chicken and peas into stew and let sit until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Adjust stew consistency with additional hot broth as needed.
- Stir in parsley, season with salt and pepper to taste; serve.