1/1 Photo of Hometown Buffet Fried Chicken (Copycat)
1 hr 30 mins
The Spice Guru's Note:
My reverse-engineered recipe for one of my favorites, Hometown Buffet's "Hand-Breaded Fried Chicken". PLEASE NOTE: The Nutritional Information listing here is inaccurate -- since only a fraction of flour, salt and eggs actually end up in the finished product. So be aware -- the suggested sodium, sugar, carbohydrate and calorie levels are ridiculously exaggerated!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 beaten large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Lawry's Seasoned Salt (use Lawry's brand only)
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1SPRINKLE chicken pieces with salt and pepper; RUB seasonings into chicken; COAT chicken with pure vegetable shortening (this will help seal in the juices).
- 2MEASURE the BREADING ingredients -- except flour and cornstarch -into a large sealable container or a large zip-lock bag; SEAL the container; SHAKE to blend; OPEN container and add 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 cup cornstarch; SEAL and shake again, until thoroughly combined.
- 3BEAT 4 large eggs in a medium bowl for the EGGWASH.
- 4DIP 1-2 pieces wet chicken at a time into the EGGWASH to coat.
- 5PLACE wet chicken into the BREADING mixture container; SEAL container firmly; SHAKE chicken gently in all motions to thoroughly coat chicken.
- 6TRANSFER chicken pieces onto a cooling rack when chicken is evenly and generously breaded; ALLOW chicken to rest and absorb the breading for a few minutes before frying.
- 7PREHEAT deep-fryer manufacturer's recommended amount of canola oil; VERY SLOWLY heat oil in gradual increments to 315°F until preheated.
- 8ADD breaded chicken to the elevated fry basket in deep-fryer without crowding.
- 9LOWER the deep-frying basket with chicken very slowly into the hot oil; FRY chicken until golden and crisp, until fully cooked fully cooked and juices run clear (about 15-18 minutes, depending on chicken portion/size).
- 10DRAIN on a wire rack over a baking sheet. NOTE: To keep chicken warm before serving, place chicken on a rack-fitted baking sheet covered with a sheet of foil in preheated 170°F oven; SERVE and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hometown Buffet Fried Chicken (Copycat)
Serving Size: 1 (212 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 746.4
- Calories from Fat 320
- Total Fat 35.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 336.0 mg
- Sodium 214.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 49.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Lawry's Seasoned Salt