Recipe by MarshHen
This is the meatloaf my mom made and it was always one of her most requested recipes. I'm not sure if it's one of her recipes or not, since she was always clipping recipes from magazines and newpapers. It's still a big hit with family and friends and remains one of my most requested recipes. My hubby is a hunter, so I do make it with ground vension and vension sausage and it's wonderful. You can also make meatballs with the meat mixture and brown them in a skillet, pop them in a crockpot with spaghetti sauce and it's great served over pasta. The meatballs also make a wonderful appetizer served with your favorite sweet & sour or BBQ sauce. Any leftover meatloaf or meatballs make a mean sandwich the next day as well. I usually make two recipes and bake both loaves on a large baking sheet so I have enough for sandwiches the next day, LOL.
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup uncooked quick oats, not instant
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine ketchup, brown sugar and mustard; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 1/3 cup of the ketchup mixture and the remaining ingredients; mix well.
- Spray a foil lined, shallow baking pan with non-stick spray. Shape mixture into loaf and bake at 350 for 1 hour; remove from oven and pour remaining sauce over loaf; bake for 10 more minutes and remove.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.