1/1 Photo of Homestyle Quiche
Slocan cook's Note:
A very down to earth quiche with the goodness of carrots, mushrooms and onions topped off with cheese and an egg filling that makes it very good for breakfast or brunch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup carrot (diced finely)
- 1 cup onion (chopped finely)
- 1 cup mushroom (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese (grated)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 9 -10 tablespoons ice water
- 1/2 cup lard (chilled)
- 1Preheat oven to 375 (190 C) degrees fahrenheit
- 2Prepare vegetables and place in a saute pan with butter and cook until tender and then set aside
- 3Put half cup of lard in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes until cold and firm to the touch.
- 4In a medium size bowl combine flours and salt mixing together until well mixed.
- 5Cut in lard with a pastry blender until the size of a small pea
- 6Take a fork and stir the mixture while adding ice water a tablespoon at at time until dough forms a ball.
- 7Place dough on a floured surface and roll out to a 9" round circle that will nicely fit a pie plate.
- 8Pre bake the crust until lightly browned and then remove from the oven and set aside.
- 9Layer the vegetable mixture on the bottom of the crust and then add grated cheese on top of the vegetable mixture
- 10Pour milk, eggs, flour and Baking Powder in a large mixing bowl and stir with a wire whisk until light and frothy
- 11Pour over cheese and vegetables and then wait one minute for sauce to meld with cheese
- 12Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homestyle Quiche
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 367.6
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 106.4 mg
- Sodium 346.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 10.8 g