Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
A very down to earth quiche with the goodness of carrots, mushrooms and onions topped off with cheese and an egg filling that makes it very good for breakfast or brunch.
- 1 cup carrot (diced finely)
- 1 cup onion (chopped finely)
- 1 cup mushroom (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese (grated)
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 9 -10 tablespoons ice water
- 1⁄2 cup lard (chilled)
- Preheat oven to 375 (190 C) degrees fahrenheit
- Prepare vegetables and place in a saute pan with butter and cook until tender and then set aside
- Put half cup of lard in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes until cold and firm to the touch.
- In a medium size bowl combine flours and salt mixing together until well mixed.
- Cut in lard with a pastry blender until the size of a small pea
- Take a fork and stir the mixture while adding ice water a tablespoon at at time until dough forms a ball.
- Place dough on a floured surface and roll out to a 9" round circle that will nicely fit a pie plate.
- Pre bake the crust until lightly browned and then remove from the oven and set aside.
- Layer the vegetable mixture on the bottom of the crust and then add grated cheese on top of the vegetable mixture
- Pour milk, eggs, flour and Baking Powder in a large mixing bowl and stir with a wire whisk until light and frothy
- Pour over cheese and vegetables and then wait one minute for sauce to meld with cheese
- Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes or until lightly browned on top.