Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
The kids hardly notice the carrots in between the layers! This is a really nice dish to serve with ham or roast pork.
- 2 cups shredded potatoes
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a buttered 9"x9" casserole dish, layer the potatoes alternately with the onion and carrot.
- Dot the layers with butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Pour the cream over the final layer, smoothing everything.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove cover and continue baking 15 minutes longer, or until top is just beginning to brown.
This was okay, but for us the ratio of carrots and potatoes was off. I didn't use the whole cup of carrots or onions and it was still a lot. I even added more shredded potatoes to try to get the right combination for us. Worth playing around with. I made this in the crockpot because it is so hot outside, and it worked out fine.