It's not a lowfat casserole, but it's so delicious you won't care. Add leftover ham for an even heartier meal.
- 1⁄2 lb macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 lb low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 lb sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook macaroni (1/2 pound= 2 cups dry) until just al dente.
- You can use elbows for a traditional look, but try scoobi-doo-- it works well in this recipe.
- Drain pasta well.
- While the mac is boiling, melt the 1/4-cup butter in a large pot.
- Whisk in the flour.
- Over med heat, whisk until smooth and bubbly (only about a minute).
- Stir in milk, cream cheese, salt, pepper& mustard.
- Keep cooking and stirring until sauce is thickened-- about three or four minutes.
- Cut the block of cheddar into half-inch cubes.
- Add drained macaroni and cubed cheddar& combine well.
- Pour into a casserole sprayed with Pam.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and sprinkle over top.
- Dust with paprika if desired.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until top is golden brown and casserole is heated through.