1/4 Photos of Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese
It's not a lowfat casserole, but it's so delicious you won't care. Add leftover ham for an even heartier meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 lb low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2Cook macaroni (1/2 pound= 2 cups dry) until just al dente.
- 3You can use elbows for a traditional look, but try scoobi-doo-- it works well in this recipe.
- 4Drain pasta well.
- 5While the mac is boiling, melt the 1/4-cup butter in a large pot.
- 6Whisk in the flour.
- 7Over med heat, whisk until smooth and bubbly (only about a minute).
- 8Stir in milk, cream cheese, salt, pepper& mustard.
- 9Keep cooking and stirring until sauce is thickened-- about three or four minutes.
- 10Cut the block of cheddar into half-inch cubes.
- 11Add drained macaroni and cubed cheddar& combine well.
- 12Pour into a casserole sprayed with Pam.
- 13In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and sprinkle over top.
- 14Dust with paprika if desired.
- 15Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until top is golden brown and casserole is heated through.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 459.9
- Calories from Fat 237
- Total Fat 26.3 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 76.7 mg
- Sodium 641.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 17.7 g