1/3 Photos of Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese
It's not a lowfat casserole, but it's so delicious you won't care. Add leftover ham for an even heartier meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 lb low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2Cook macaroni (1/2 pound= 2 cups dry) until just al dente.
- 3You can use elbows for a traditional look, but try scoobi-doo-- it works well in this recipe.
- 4Drain pasta well.
- 5While the mac is boiling, melt the 1/4-cup butter in a large pot.
- 6Whisk in the flour.
- 7Over med heat, whisk until smooth and bubbly (only about a minute).
- 8Stir in milk, cream cheese, salt, pepper& mustard.
- 9Keep cooking and stirring until sauce is thickened-- about three or four minutes.
- 10Cut the block of cheddar into half-inch cubes.
- 11Add drained macaroni and cubed cheddar& combine well.
- 12Pour into a casserole sprayed with Pam.
- 13In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and sprinkle over top.
- 14Dust with paprika if desired.
- 15Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until top is golden brown and casserole is heated through.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 459.9
- Calories from Fat 237
- Total Fat 26.3 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 76.7 mg
- Sodium 641.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 17.7 g