Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
From the TVP cookbook
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 7⁄8 cup boiling water
- 20 ounces shredded potatoes or 4 large potatoes, peeled grated
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped finely
- Mix the first three ingredients and let stand 10 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet and add the oil. Then over med high heat saute the TVP with the onion.
- Then mix the TVP and the potatoes. If needed add a bit more oil, about 1 to 2 tbs, to the hot skillet.
- Pat mix into an even layer, reduce heat and cook 10 to 15 minutes. Turn over carefully and cook other side. Sometimes it is easier to cut the hash into 4 wedges to turn.
- sprinkle with parsley and cut into wedges to serve.
- Note if you grate your own potatoes make sure they are long thin strands.
I had never used TVP before, but really liked it with the potatoes. I did place my potatoes in a towel and squeezed most of the water out. They browned beautifully.
Haven't made this yet, but saw a TV cooking show today. To make hashbrowns he grated raw potatoes and placed them on a clean kitchen towel, brought all the ends together and started twisting the potatoes in the towel and a lot of water came out of the grated potatoes. Much easier to cook dry potatoes than wet ones.