Recipe by The Spice Guru
Despite the unappetizing photo, my recipe for this comfort food favorite is delicious. Serve over hot mashed potatoes or fluffed baked potatoes, or like my Grandma did -- over homemade buttered egg noodles.
- 1 lb fresh ground chuck
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3⁄8 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3⁄8 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground leaf thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE: IF YOU PREFER AN EXTRA-SAVORY GRAVY, INCREASE PAPRIKA TO 1/2 TEASPOON, AND GINGER, MUSTARD, SAGE AND THYME TO 1/4 TEASPOON. (STEP ONE): IN a large skillet over medium-high heat, add ground chuck and coarsely break apart; ADD the onion salt, garlic salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- STIR and cook until browned but still juicy.
- SPRINKLE the flour over ground beef and stir until all flour is absorbed.
- POUR in the hot water and stir well until flour is dissolved.
- WHISK in the remaining ingredients.
- BRING to a gentle boil then reduce heat.
- SIMMER gravy for 10 minutes, stirring as needed.
- SEASON to taste (if needed) with salt and freshly cracked pepper.
- LADLE over seasoned buttered hot mashed potatoes or seasoned buttered oven-baked, "smashed" potatoes, or butter-parsley egg noodles.
- SERVE and enjoy.