1/1 Photo of Homestyle Hamburger Gravy
The Spice Guru's Note:
Despite the unappetizing photo, my recipe for this comfort food favorite is delicious. Serve over hot mashed potatoes or fluffed baked potatoes, or like my Grandma did -- over homemade buttered egg noodles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb fresh ground chuck
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3/8 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3/8 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/8 teaspoon ground leaf thyme
- 1NOTE: IF YOU PREFER AN EXTRA-SAVORY GRAVY, INCREASE PAPRIKA TO 1/2 TEASPOON, AND GINGER, MUSTARD, SAGE AND THYME TO 1/4 TEASPOON. (STEP ONE): IN a large skillet over medium-high heat, add ground chuck and coarsely break apart; ADD the onion salt, garlic salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- 2STIR and cook until browned but still juicy.
- 3SPRINKLE the flour over ground beef and stir until all flour is absorbed.
- 4POUR in the hot water and stir well until flour is dissolved.
- 5WHISK in the remaining ingredients.
- 6BRING to a gentle boil then reduce heat.
- 7SIMMER gravy for 10 minutes, stirring as needed.
- 8SEASON to taste (if needed) with salt and freshly cracked pepper.
- 9LADLE over seasoned buttered hot mashed potatoes or seasoned buttered oven-baked, "smashed" potatoes, or butter-parsley egg noodles.
- 10SERVE and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homestyle Hamburger Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 288.6
- Calories from Fat 175
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 78.2 mg
- Sodium 117.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 20.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: