Recipe by Diana #2
This is one of those soups that warms the body and the soul. Served with fresh bread, it doesn't get much better than this.
Top Review by breezermom
Very good! Unlike Sydney Mike, I didn't find this salty at all, but I used low sodium bouillion cubes. I ended up adding some sea salt finishing salt when serving, and this was delicious. I halved the recipe and ran into no problems. This soup is easy to make and quick too. Great for a weeknight dinner. Thanks for sharing! Made for PAC 2011.
- 4 cups broccoli, cooked
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 cups water, boiled
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- In a blender, process half of the broccoli until fairly smooth.
- Chop remaining broccoli and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt butter. Saute onion and celery for 3 - 4 minutes or until soft.
- Add flour, stirring for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Crumble bouillon cubes in 3 cups of boiling water.
- Blend into onion mixture and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until thick. Stirring constantly.
- Add milk, pepper, nutmeg and broccoli.
- Heat thoroughly.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with cheese.