Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one of those soups that warms the body and the soul. Served with fresh bread, it doesn't get much better than this.
- In a blender, process half of the broccoli until fairly smooth.
- Chop remaining broccoli and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt butter. Saute onion and celery for 3 - 4 minutes or until soft.
- Add flour, stirring for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Crumble bouillon cubes in 3 cups of boiling water.
- Blend into onion mixture and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until thick. Stirring constantly.
- Add milk, pepper, nutmeg and broccoli.
- Heat thoroughly.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with cheese.
Very good! Unlike Sydney Mike, I didn't find this salty at all, but I used low sodium bouillion cubes. I ended up adding some sea salt finishing salt when serving, and this was delicious. I halved the recipe and ran into no problems. This soup is easy to make and quick too. Great for a weeknight dinner. Thanks for sharing! Made for PAC 2011.
We love soups - we love Broccoli soup and always say there can never be too many recipes for Broccoli soup! This version is awesome, the recipe went straight to my Favourites Cookbook. Not promoting Diana, but served with Feather Bread, Feather Bread (Bread Maker - for Bread - Rolls - and Buns.) it made for one awesome meal! Out to pick up more Broccoli ... Thank you for sharing!
Very Good! I like using the chicken bouillon cubes stated in the recipe rather than chicken stock. The flavor of onions made it special. I did omit the celery (DH's preference), but stirred in one cup of cheddar cheese just before serving. And, of course, I topped the servings with cheese. A great soup with easy preparation! Thanks Diana #2. Prepared as a participant in the Aus/NZ Swap #34 November 2009 Event.