Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
My recipe for a delicious double-crusted deep dish chicken pot pie.
Make and share this Homestyle Chicken Pot Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2⁄3 cup peeled diced potato (to 1/2-inch dice)
- 2⁄3 cup sliced baby carrots (to 1/2-inch thick)
- 2⁄3 cup sliced celery (to 1/2-inch thick)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (to 1/4-inch thick)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen petite whole onion (pearl onions)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, thinly snipped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground leaf thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- 1 small bay leaf (removed)
- 1 small minced fresh garlic clove
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup frozen peas (frozen peas and corn okay)
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- celery salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups boneless skinless rotisserie chicken, cut into 1-inch cubes
CRUST (I PREPARE A BUTTER CRUST RECIPE BUT THIS IS EASIER)
- 14 -15 ounces refrigerated roll-out pie dough
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water
- PREHEAT OVEN: Place oven rack to lower 1/3. Set oven to 425°F.
- PREPARE BOTTOM CRUST: Using roll-out refrigerated pie crust, unroll crust into lightly greased 9-inch to 10-inch deep-dish pie plate. Place pie plate with crust into the freezer to temper until ready to fill.
- PREPARE FILLING: Heat olive oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the potatoes, carrots, celery, mushrooms, frozen pearl onions, chives, parsley, sage, thyme, fresh ground black pepper, rosemary, bay leaf, and garlic. Cover, then saute, stirring every 3 minutes until vegetables are just firm-tender (do not overcook).
- THICKEN: Sprinkle 5 tablespoons flour over saute mixture, then stir. Add the chicken stock, frozen peas, heavy cream, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, turmeric, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low. Remove bay leaf. Season fresh ground black pepper and 1 pinch celery salt (or to taste).
- ADD CHICKEN: Fold in 2 cups boneless, skinless chunked rotisserie chicken.
- FILL SHELL: Pour the prepared filling into frozen bottom shell. Place top crust dough over pie. Pinch and flute edges of upper crust to adjoin with bottom crust.
- PREPARE GLAZE: In small bowl with one beaten egg, add 1 1/2 tablespoons water and whisk. Brush top crust and edges of pie lightly and evenly with mixture. Cut slits around top center for steam to escape.
- BAKE pie at 425° about 30 minutes on lower rack, or until evenly golden brown.
- COOL and set for at least 20 minutes before cutting and serving.
- SLICE, serve and enjoy!