Recipe by PinayChef
This is a traditional Filipino dish. Nilaga means "boiled." This is a simple and fairly easy dish to prepare. It only involves one basic process–boiling. Tip: You can substitute the chicken with beef (Nilaga Baka) or pork (pork stew) for variety.
- 1 chicken, cut into serving portions
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 8 cups water
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut in chunks
- 2 plantains (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cabbage
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken and onion in a large casserole and pour in the water. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium and simmer for 20 minute.
- Add the potatoes and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the plantains and simmer until the chicken,potatoes and plantains are tender, about 10 more minutes.Season with fish sauce, salt, and pepper. Add the cabbage and cook until just tender, about 2 minutes.
- Serve soup hot with rice.