Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
My mom has made this casserole since I was a kid. It is simple,comfort food to me. Cooking for my kids, I often leave out the pimento and the almonds. For added favor I cook the rice is chicken broth. I always double the recipe and put one, uncooked, in a foil pan in the freezer. This is a nice casserole to take to someone that has just had a new baby.
- 1⁄8 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut up into bite size pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked white rice
- 1⁄3 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimiento, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan, wisk in the flour, salt and pepper. Over low heat, whisk constantly until flour/butter mixture turns golden and bubbling.
- Add the milk and chicken broth. Whisk in well.
- Bring to a boil. Continue to whisk or stir until it has been at a bubbling, low boil for one minute or so.
- Remove from heat, add the other ingredients and mix well.
- Taste for seasoning, add salt and pepper as needed.
- Spoon into an ungreased, 8x11-inch or 2 quart Pyrex casserole dish. Do not cover.
- Bake at 350°F until the casserole is bubbling and starting to lightly crisp around the edges for about 45 minutes.
Made for 2008 All New Zaar Cookbooks Tag. This is real similar to a recipe that I have except that mine has broccoli in it and cheese in the sauce and it's layered. We really didn't care for this - it didn't have much flavor and was kind of bland.