Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Old fashioned. This recipe is an old standard. Never a complaint when these are put on the table for dinner.
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 medium onion, peeled
- 3 carrots, whole unpeeled
- 3 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 celery ribs, whole
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 3 -5 tablespoons milk
- Clean chicken and place in a large pot with the peeled onion, 3 of the carrots and 3 pieces of the celery. Cover with water and add bouillon (optional but adds flavor). Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until the chicken is done.
- While the chicken is stewing, prepare the noodles. Place flour in bowl and sprinkle with salt. Make an indentation in the flour. Add the eggs and milk. Mix to form a stiff dough. Knead dough. (It has been kneaded enough when you can brush the ball of dough against your cheek and it feels like a baby's bottom). Allow the dough to sit covered for 20 minutes. Roll the dough on a generously floured board until very thin. Cut in strips.
- When the chicken in done, remove from broth. Set the chicken aside, covered, to cool. Remove and discard all the vegetables. (All of the vitamins have cooked out of the vegetables, they are overcooked and tasteless).
- Bring the broth to a boil. Add the sliced carrots and celery. Slowly add the cut noodles. Include the excess flour with the noodles, it will thicken the broth. Lower the heat and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Bone the chicken and cut into pieces. Add the meat to the noodles. Season with pepper.
- Serve chopped broccoli on the side. Add some homemade wheat rolls to the meal and your family will think you have prepared a feast!
I must say, your recipes are super!! This was easy to make, and I did make one change and used chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken (it was personal taste). I have always loved homemade noodles, and these were great! Thanks for another winner!