Cook7 hrs 45 mins
This is my mother's recipe, and a favorite of everyone who's ever tasted it. It takes a long time to cook, but very little prep. Start it in the morning, and you'll have a delicious meal waiting for you in the evening. Don't worry about using an expensive roast. The cheap tough ones turn out beautifully.
- Place frozen roast in roasting pan.
- Heat, uncovered, at 450 degrees for 45 minutes (30 minutes for smaller roast).
- Remove roast from oven, and season with garlic and pepper.
- Cover, decrease heat to 275 degrees, and roast for approx 4 hours until fork tender.
- Pull apart roast with fork.
- Layer ingredients into slow cooker (1 layer beef, 1 layer au jus from roasting pan, 1 layer BBQ sauce). Repeat until all ingredients have been added.
- Heat on low until warmed through and bubbling (2-3 hours).
- Spoon onto sliced Kaiser rolls, and enjoy!
Cut this down for DH and I and used a honey/garlic bbq sauce and add sliced onions and some garlic to the recipe and we really enjoyed this. I am glad I cut this down (makes a lot) but very tasty. Made for Spring PAC 2014.
I've been wanting to make this since Spring PAC and finally got around to do it. Am I glad I did, this must be one of the best ways I've ever had beef! To be sure to have a gluten free bbq sauce, I made my own throwing together ketchup, molasses, beef broth, mustard, onion and garlic powder and smoked paprika. DH took one bite and said "give this five stars!" - usually he says 4 stars because 5 are for really very special unique and outstanding recipes, so, there you are! We had this on fried polenta slices instead of buns, and I barely could stop eating. This will be a keeper for sure. Thanks for sharing :)
I was worried about the size of this dish. Having a ton of leftovers. 3 men and 3 women, and the bowl was literally wiped clean by my brother with a bun. It was soooo good. Tasted JUST like the ones I crave from the Stampede every year! Thank you so much for this post! Incredible.