Recipe by Domestic Goddess
I got this recipe out of a magazine about 30 years ago, it's from Kraft. It's an all-in-one casserole dish made with mashed potatoes, breakfast sausage links, green beans, onions, pimientos, and Velveeta cheese. I slightly tweaked the recipe to my liking. This is very good comfort food!
- 1 (9 ounce) package frozen cut green beans, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimiento
- 4 cups hot cooked mashed potatoes
- 1 lb pork sausage link, cooked and drained
- 8 ounces velveeta cheese spread, sliced & divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the green beans, onions and pimiento.
- In a 2-1/2 quart casserole baking dish, add the mashed potatoes.
- Put half of the cheese slices on top the potatoes.
- Place the green bean mixture over the cheese slices.
- Top with the cooked pork sausage links.
- Cover the casserole, and bake for 30 minutes in a 350º oven.
- Top with the remaining cheese slices, and continue baking until the cheese melts. (This should only take about 1 minute to melt the cheese.).
- Yields: 4-5 servings.
- Note: You could substitute fresh cooked green beans for the frozen-cooked green beans. I cooked my fresh green beans with a 1/2 cup of water, and sprinkled them with a bit of salt & pepper, and cooked them in a 900 watt microwave oven for 13 minutes (stirring the beans half way through the cooking time). Also, when cooking the potatoes, I added a few cloves of fresh garlic to the pot of water, and when the potatoes were done cooking and drained, I added several pats of butter, a bit of half-and-half cream, plus I sprinkled the mashed taters with freshly cracked black pepper, also added some of Mrs Dash Table Blend Seasoning.