1/2 Photos of Homesteader's Casserole
Domestic Goddess's Note:
I got this recipe out of a magazine about 30 years ago, it's from Kraft. It's an all-in-one casserole dish made with mashed potatoes, breakfast sausage links, green beans, onions, pimientos, and Velveeta cheese. I slightly tweaked the recipe to my liking. This is very good comfort food!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine the green beans, onions and pimiento.
- 2In a 2-1/2 quart casserole baking dish, add the mashed potatoes.
- 3Put half of the cheese slices on top the potatoes.
- 4Place the green bean mixture over the cheese slices.
- 5Top with the cooked pork sausage links.
- 6Cover the casserole, and bake for 30 minutes in a 350º oven.
- 7Top with the remaining cheese slices, and continue baking until the cheese melts. (This should only take about 1 minute to melt the cheese.).
- 8Yields: 4-5 servings.
- 9Note: You could substitute fresh cooked green beans for the frozen-cooked green beans. I cooked my fresh green beans with a 1/2 cup of water, and sprinkled them with a bit of salt & pepper, and cooked them in a 900 watt microwave oven for 13 minutes (stirring the beans half way through the cooking time). Also, when cooking the potatoes, I added a few cloves of fresh garlic to the pot of water, and when the potatoes were done cooking and drained, I added several pats of butter, a bit of half-and-half cream, plus I sprinkled the mashed taters with freshly cracked black pepper, also added some of Mrs Dash Table Blend Seasoning.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homesteader's Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (363 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 711.7
- Calories from Fat 391
- Total Fat 43.5 g
- Saturated Fat 18.2 g
- Cholesterol 117.1 mg
- Sodium 2341.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 31.6 g