Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
It isn't summer in the south without fresh grown limas. Love 'em.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen lima beans or 2 (10 ounce) packages fresh lima beans, cooked,drained with cooking liquid reserved
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 slices lean bacon
- Spray 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Layer drained lima beans over the bottom of the casserole dish.
- In a saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat.
- Add in the flour and whisk for 1 minute.
- Slowly add in 1/2 cup reserved bean cooking liquid; whisk until thickened and smooth.
- Add in the brown sugar, mustard, and lemon juice; stir to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and pour over lima beans.
- In a small bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, melted butter, and cheese.
- Spoon evenly over the beans.
- Lay bacon strips over the top and bake in a 350° oven for about 30 minutes or until the bacon is crisp.
Very tasty, very easy to make.