From http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com "I am so in love with these tortillas that I found myself just staring at them with a silly grin plastered on my face, amazed at what I had made. My friends think I’m a little nuts for my obsession, and maybe I am, but who cares? It may have taken me many years, but at last I have cooked homemade flour tortillas I am pleased and proud to not only eat myself but to share with the world."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and oil.
- 2Slowly add the warm milk.
- 3Stir until a loose, sticky ball is formed.
- 4Knead for two minutes on a floured surface. Dough should be firm and soft.
- 5Place dough in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap for 20 minutes.
- 6After the dough has rested, break off eight sections, roll them into balls in your hands, place on a plate (make sure they aren’t touching) and then cover balls with damp cloth or plastic wrap for 10 minutes. (It’s very important to let the dough rest, otherwise it will be like elastic and won’t roll out to a proper thickness and shape.).
- 7After dough has rested, one at a time place a dough ball on a floured surface, pat it out into a four-inch circle, and then roll with a rolling pin from the center until it’s thin and about eight inches in diameter. (If you roll out pie crusts you’ll have no problem with this.) Don’t over work the dough, or it’ll be stiff. Keep rolled-out tortillas covered until ready to cook.
- 8In a dry iron skillet or comal heated on high, cook the tortilla about thirty seconds on each side. It should start to puff a bit when it’s done.
- 9Keep cooked tortillas covered wrapped in a napkin until ready to eat.
- 10Can be reheated in a dry iron skillet, over your gas-burner flame or in the oven wrapped in foil.
- 11While you probably won’t have any leftovers, you can store in the fridge tightly wrapped in foil or plastic for a day or so.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homesick Texan's Flour Tortillas
Serving Size: 1 (455 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 138.7
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 3.2 mg
- Sodium 370.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 3.9 g