Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Allrecipes. This recipe is flexible for modifications as you prefer...some like less cumin, some add corn, some prefer oatmeal to bread crumbs. I used the food processor for the entire recipe, formed into patties and let refrigerate for an hour before baking, flipping burgers halfway through cooking time. The patties were very sticky and I had to dampen my hands in between for form them. I also added canned corn (not pulverized).
- 15 ounces black beans, canned drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 onion, cut into wedges
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Thai sweet chili sauce or 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
- In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
- In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
- Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
- If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.