Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Once your yogurt is chilled your ready to go-just add your favorite jam or preserve or fresh fruit.
- 1 quart milk
- 3 -24 teaspoons lactobacillus acidophilus culture
- Heat the milk to boiling point-212°F.
- Let cool to just warm-do a wrist test.
- When no longer"hot" add the yogurt or yogurt starter and whisk well.
- There are several methods to go to at this point but I think (IMHO) that this is the best.
- Pour product into a wide-mouth thermos and put the lid on it.
- Let stand 4-6 hours before refrigerating.
- Dont shake, rattle or roll the thermos while incubating or your going to get yogurt that looks like cottage cheese.
The thermos method is definitely one of the easiest ways of making yoghurt.
I had just returned from a Mediterranean vacation and longed for the really thick creamy yogurt they serve for breakfast. A young Turkish woman told me it was easy to make your own so I went straight to RecipeZaar and found this recipe. I used 1% milk with 1/3 cup plain yogurt and put in the wide mouth thermos. Like Sugarpea, I thought it was okay but too thin. I then found recipe #270949 for "Easy and Fast Greek Style Yogurt". I took my yogurt, poured it in a wire mesh strainer lined with a coffee filter and put it in the fridge overnight. The result was a fantastic thick creamy yogurt!! I like to add a spoonful of honey.
VERY easy to make yogurt! I mixed the ingredients together and let it sit in the oven overnight at 100F.