I was in search of a great yellow cake made from scratch that would taste good if not better than the box. I use this one all the time for my catering business. It makes a thick cake. 6/3/08 Made some changes to make it better.
- Cream together butter, shortening, sugar, and pudding.
- Add eggs in one at a time.
- Add in sour cream and vanilla. Mix well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add flour mixture into butter mixture alternately with milk starting and finishing with flour mixture.
- Pour into well greased and floured 13x9 pan.
- Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes.
- Variation for White Cake: Use 4 egg whites instead of the 3 whole eggs.
- Variation for Spice Cake: Add 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/4+1/8 teaspoon ground allspice, 1/4+1/8 teaspoon ground cloves to the flour mixture.
- Variation for Chocolate Cake: Use chocolate pudding mix and 1/3 cup cocoa. (I then up the milk a little.).