Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I was in search of a great yellow cake made from scratch that would taste good if not better than the box. I use this one all the time for my catering business. It makes a thick cake. 6/3/08 Made some changes to make it better.
- 828.06 ml cake flour
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 99.22 g package instant vanilla pudding
- 88.74 ml butter, softened
- 88.74 ml butter flavor shortening
- 354.88 ml milk
- 14.79 ml vanilla extract
- 118.29 ml sour cream
- 4 eggs
- Cream together butter, shortening, sugar, and pudding.
- Add eggs in one at a time.
- Add in sour cream and vanilla. Mix well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add flour mixture into butter mixture alternately with milk starting and finishing with flour mixture.
- Pour into well greased and floured 13x9 pan.
- Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes.
- Variation for White Cake: Use 4 egg whites instead of the 3 whole eggs.
- Variation for Spice Cake: Add 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/4+1/8 teaspoon ground allspice, 1/4+1/8 teaspoon ground cloves to the flour mixture.
- Variation for Chocolate Cake: Use chocolate pudding mix and 1/3 cup cocoa. (I then up the milk a little.).
I had to make a wedding cake. I usually use pound but my niece wanted a vanilla layer cake. I have a recipe but it is very light in texture. This recipe was delicious, moist and dense. It was firmer than a traditional layer cake but not as heavy as a pound. It was exactly what I needed. This recipe will replace my orginal recipe. It really was good.
I absolutely love this recipe. I was asked to make a cake for my roommate's mom's thanksgiving dinner and so I've been looking for a good scratch recipe that would be moist and light and pair well with the ricotta cheese icing. This one works wonderfully. In fact, its actually replaced any other cake recipe I used before! Thank you so much for sharing with us!
I used your recipe, with quite a few variations, to make a "green" pistachio cake for a St. Patrick's Day dessert. I substituted buttermilk and almond milk for the sour cream and milk, added more vanilla, used a box of pistachio pudding mix plus a few drops of green food color, and baked it in a Bundt pan for 60 minutes. Even with all the substitutions, it still came out lovely. Thanks for such a versatile recipe.