Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This bread is most like the soft white bread that you buy at the store. If you like a softer crust, butter the top and put in a zip-loc bag.
- 12.32 ml active dry yeast
- 59.14 ml warm water (110 degrees F)
- 14.79 ml white sugar
- 946.36 ml all-purpose flour
- 59.14 ml instant potato flakes
- 59.14 ml powdered milk
- 9.85 ml salt
- 59.14 ml white sugar
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml margarine
- 236.59 ml warm water
- Whisk together the yeast, 1/4 cup warm water and sugar.
- Allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Add ingredients in the order suggested by your manufacturer, including the yeast mixture.
- Select the basic and light crust setting.
- A white bread recipe without a strong yeast flavor.
- Proofing the yeast first eliminates some of the yeast taste from the final product.
- Makes 2 lb loaf.
Hey thanks so much for this recipe...making it again for the 2nd time now...im trying 1cup of 2% milk in substitution for the dry milk as last time i found the dough was a wee bit dry and had to add a few tablespoons of water...we will see how it turns out.. a great recipe in which i will be using whenever i make sandwich bread!
I have made this bread 4 times now.. I follow the recipe exactly.. I add the flour a cup at a time and stop when the dough looks good and feels good. I know amounts of water vs flour needed can varry according to your elevation / area. This is THE go to bread. Sandwich bread , morning toast, grilled cheese.. this is THE best of the best. I even photo 'd the recipe for my jump drive, so that I won't loose it... ever. This is one of those recipies that convinces people I can do magic in the kitchen.. L O V E I T !!!
Very nice. I just tried this recipe today and my 82 year old mother loves it. In fact, she wanted a grilled cheese made with this bread and it turned out great. Most of the loaf was eaten with butter slathered on it. Thanks for sharing an easy and excellent recipe.