Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I want some of these right now! :) This is my weekend goodie recipe to try out. These sound delicious - ooey gooey snacks. From Kim Tilley of Frugal-Moms.com
- Making the Cookies: First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the flour and the cocoa; set aside.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the baking soda in the hot water, then add milk, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the shortening and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the egg and beat another minute.
- Mix in half of the dry ingredients, then half of the wet; repeat.
- Drop batter by heaping teaspoons, about 2 inches apart, on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Cool thoroughly.
- Making the Filling: In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter, shortening, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar, beating until fluffy.
- Add milk, one tablespoon at a time, until the frosting has a creamy consistency.
- Assemble: Using a butter knife, spread the frosting between two cookies.
- Wrap Whoopie Pies individually or place them in a single layer on a plate.
I made these for people at work, and they LOVED them. This was my first whoopie pie attempt, and it was much easier than I expected. Mine were a little bigger, and I yielded about 14 total pies.
I didn't make the cake part just the filling & it was GREAT! I will use this filling again.