The recipe is originally from chickensintheroad.com. I posted here for safe keeping and measuring nutritional value. Thank you chickensintheroad for coming up with such a versatile and convenient recipe that can be mixed in no time. This is the recipe to substitute for an 18.25 oz Betty Crocker boxed cake mix. Have you ever read the label on store-bought cake mixes? They’re packed with additives, preservatives, artificial coloring, oils, corn syrup, etc. Make up several batches of Homemade White Cake Mix at a time, store in the pantry, and whip ‘em out any time for a quick, easy cake with none of that stuff!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine the ingredients. Store in a sealed, labeled container or baggie with the directions to make the cake. (This mix will fit in a quart-size baggie, just barely.) If you want to double, triple, or more the mix to make in bulk and keep it all in one big container, stir the mix well and measure out 5 cups of mix each time you make a cake (or a bit more if you used cake flour).
- 2To replace in recipes calling for a store-bought white cake mix: Use in any recipe calling for a white cake mix as a base (add 1 teaspoon vanilla to the recipe along with the cake mix as the recipe will assume powdered vanilla flavoring was included in the store-bought mix).
- 3Or to make a basic white cake using your homemade mix, use the following instructions : 1 recipe Homemade White Cake Mix + 1 1/4 cups water + 1/2 cup shortening + 4 egg whites + 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- 4Combine all the ingredients. Beat to mix on low, then beat on high for two minutes. Pour into greased, floured cake pans. Bake at 350-degrees.
- 5Baking Time : 8″ or 9″ cake rounds — 20-25 minutes / 13 x 9 pan — 35-40 minutes / cupcakes — 12-15 minutes / tube/bundt pan — 45-50 minutes.
- 6To make this mix without using powdered milk: Delete the dried milk from the mix ingredients. When preparing the cake, replace the 1 1/4 cups water with 1 1/3 cups milk or buttermilk. I’ve also used coconut milk with this recipe. You can use any kind of milk you want.
- 7Just remember that recipes calling for a store-bought white cake mix are going to assume the mix contains powdered milk. Also remember, if you make the mix in bulk, instead of measuring out 5 cups per cake, you’d measure out 4 1/2 cups (to make up for the 1/2 cup powdered milk that’s not in there).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade White Cake Mix (Subtitute 18.25oz Betty Crocker Box)
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 375.6
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 7.7 mg
- Sodium 155.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 53.0 g
- Protein 6.1 g