Recipe by WJKing
Delicious, basic bread recipe. Yummy! When I make this recipe, I bake one, and freeze the other two loaves, then use them later. To use later, I simply thaw in greased bread pan & let rise above & continue to follow same directions as posted. Enjoy!
Top Review by Sackville
This really makes a lovely loaf of bread. I've tried a lot of white bread recipes (many of them more complicated) and none have come out so light and fluffy. My only mistake was not doubling the batch! I brushed some melted butter on top of the loaf just before I popped it in the oven, to make it crusty on the outside.
- 2 3⁄4 cups water (approx. 105 degrees)
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 6 -7 cups occident flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, mix sugar, yeast, melted lard and warm water.
- Stir and let stand approximately 2-5 minutes, until bubbly.
- Add salt and flour; stir, then mix well.
- Let stand (covered with a towel) for 30-60 minutes.
- Punch down, then knead.
- Shape into three loaves.
- Place into greased loaf pans and let rise until rounded above pan.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until done.
- Remove from pans and butter tops, if desired, for a softer crust.
- Note: Adjust flour as needed.