1/1 Photo of Homemade White Bread
This is a classic white bread recipe that makes 5 loaves. My husband loves this bread toasted for breakfast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In large mixing bowl, combine 6 cups flour, dry milk, yeast, salt, sugar, and potato flakes; set aside.
- 2In microwave, heat water and margarine to 110 to 120 degrees.
- 3Add water mixture to flour mixture and beat on medium speed with mixer for 2 minutes.
- 4Gradually add enough flour for the mixture to form a stiff dough.
- 5Turn dough out onto floured board and knead about 10 minutes, adding flour as needed (I use my KitchenAid mixer with a dough hook).
- 6Be careful not to add too much flour; the dough should be smooth and elastic.
- 7Place the kneaded dough in a large oiled bowl and turn dough over to coat with the oil.
- 8Cover the dough with a large cloth and set aside in warm place to rise until it is doubled in size.
- 9Punch dough down and turn out onto floured board.
- 10Divide into 5 portions, shape each into loaves, and place in greased 4 1/2 x 8 1/2 inch non-stick loaf pans (the dark pans brown the bread better than the shiny pans).
- 11Cover pans with a cloth and let rise until doubled.
- 12Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- 13Remove bread from pans immediately and let cool on rack.
- 14Brush tops of loaves with butter.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade White Bread
Serving Size: 1 (2727 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1342.4
- Calories from Fat 334
- Total Fat 37.1 g
- Saturated Fat 22.2 g
- Cholesterol 98.0 mg
- Sodium 2165.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 214.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 20.6 g
- Protein 34.8 g