Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 12 hrs
Cook 0 mins
A simple recipe to make liquid whey to use for lactofermenting things like sauerkraut or chutney.
Make and share this Homemade Whey and Cream Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- Line a strainer or colander with a kitchen towel and set over a large bowl.
- Add the yogurt, cover with a plate and leave overnight.
- In the morning, transfer the liquid whey that has dripped into the bowl into a glass jar.
- To get the last bit of whey out of the yogurt, tie up the towel and suspend it from a spoon over a container.
- After several hours you will have a nice firm cream cheese in the towel and a little bit more whey.
- From 1 quart of yogurt you will get about 2 ½ cups whey and 1 ½ cups cream cheese.
- Whey keeps very well in glass jars in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.