Recipe by Mme M
This is a favorite summer drink for all the family. You may use still or sparkling water.
- 1⁄2 ounce yeast
- 3⁄4 pint warm water
- 8 teaspoons ground ginger
- 8 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sugar
- 2 pints water
- 2 lemons
- 5 pints water
Directions See How It's Made
- Firstly, make the yeast 'plant' or starter: mix the yeast with the warm water, add 2 teaspoons ground ginger and 2 teaspoons sugar. Stir well. Make that mix in an opaque jar or jug, or keep it in the dark for 24 hours.
- Feed this starter with 1 teaspoon ground ginger and one teaspoon of sugar every day for the next six days. In total, you will use 8 teaspoons of ginger and 8 teaspoons of sugar for the starter.
- After the full week it took to make this, strain this starter through a cheesecloth, or use a fine sieve.
- Dissolve the 1 1/2 lbs of sugar with 2 pints of water.
- Juice the 2 lemons, and add the juice to the sugar water.
- Add the sugar water with lemon juice to the strained starter.
- Add the resulting mix to the 5 pints of water.
- Mix well.
- Bottle in sterilized bottles or screw-topped jars.
- Keep for seven days to mature, then it's ready.